How to Properly Fill Your Hot Tub with Fresh Water
There is nothing quite like bathing in a hot tub that has just been drained and refilled with fresh water. Like everything in life, there is a right way and a wrong way to fill your hot tub with fresh water.
Today, we not only want to talk about how to do it, but also how you do it using a hose filter. While you don’t necessarily need a hose filter when you refill your hot tub with fresh water, we believe you will be glad you did. It will make it much easier for you to care for the water in your spa. Let’s take a look at the steps you need to take to properly fill your hot tub with fresh water.
Drain Your Hot Tub
Before you can fill your hot tub with nice, fresh water, you will need to drain that old water from your spa. It’s pretty easy to do, and really won’t take that long. Just follow these easy steps:
- Disconnect the hot tub from the power supply by turning off the breakers or unplugging it from the outlet.
- Attach the inlet of a regular garden hose to the main drain valve.
- Open the valve and allow the spa to drain.
- Once most of the water has drained, open the secondary drain to allow all the water from the pump and heating system to drain.
- Replace the secondary drain cap and close the main drain valve.
That’s all there is to it. How long it will take will depend on the size of your hot tub and how much water you have in it, but in most cases it won’t take more than a few minutes for all the water to drain from your system. Once all the water has been drained, go ahead and give the shell a good cleaning and check your filter to make sure it is clean and in good shape.
|You Save:||$4.00 (10%)|
Fill Your Hot Tub with Fresh Water
Now that all the old water has been removed from your hot tub and it’s been properly cleaned, it is time to refill it with fresh, clean water. While you can just turn on your hose and fill up your spa, today we want to make sure the water is extra clean. To do that, you need to use a hose filter.
What Is a Hose Filter?
Some of you may be wondering exactly what a hose filter is and what it does. Basically, it is a filter that fits on the end of your garden hose that you will use to fill your spa.
These filters will remove impurities such as copper, iron, and calcium that could be present in your tap water. These impurities can cause hard water and damage your hot tub. Now there are ways to reduce these impurities in your hot tub after is has been filled, but it’s much easier to remove as much of it when you fill it then it is to get rid of it once it is in your hot tub.
Filling Your Hot Tub Using a Hose Filter
Now that you know what it is, let’s look at how you use it and the steps you need to take to fill your hot tub using this filter. Really, the process isn’t much different from a normal fill, but we will highlight all the steps here for you anyway.
- Attach your hose filter to the end of your garden hose.
- Check all the drains on the hot tub to be sure they are closed.
- Double check that there is no power to the hot tub.
- Turn on your hose and fill your hot tub to the optimal level as set by your hot tub manufacturer.
- Restore power to your hot tub and turn it on allowing the jets to run. If you need to prime your hot tub, do so now.
- Test your water and adjust your pH levels to between 7.4 and 7.6, your Total Alkalinity (TA) levels to 80 ppm and your Calcium Hardness (CH) to 100 ppm.
- Shock your fresh hot tub water while the hot tub is running and allow it to continue to circulate .
- Adjust your temperature, if necessary, to between 100 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Replace your cover and allow the spa to run for 24 hours to heat properly.
- After a day has passed, run the clean cycle on your hot tub and then check your pH levels, TA levels, and CH levels again.
That’s all there is to it. It will take a little time to refill your hot tub and get the water in good shape. But once you do, you will love the results.
How to Balance the pH in a Hot Tub
Learn everything you need to know to balance the pH in a hot tub so your water chemistry is spot on so you can enjoy your hot tub worry free.
Click here to learn more »
While the refill process on a hot tub will take a little bit of time, it is a great way to keep your hot tub clean. By using a hose filter, you will be able to start your hot tub’s water off right. This will make it easier for you to clean and maintain once you are ready to start enjoying it.