How to Get Rid of Hot Tub FoamClick here to get our FREE weekly hot tub maintenance newsletter!
Sometimes a hot tub can produce lots of foam. Although this may be great when taking a bubble bath, it’s not ideal in a hot tub.
Hot tub foam is caused by the water being “thick” and the air jets activate these tiny bubbles, causing the foam.
Here are the common causes of hot tub foam:
- Hair care products such as shampoo, gel, mousse, hair spray, etc.
- Body lotions and deodorant
- Laundry detergent or soap
- Cheap hot tub chemicals, too many chemicals, or total dissolved solids (TDS)
The only thing that should go in hot tub water are humans and trusted hot tub chemicals. Anything else can cause foaming and other problems.
How to Prevent Hot Tub Foam
- Prevent foam by showering before soaking in the hot tub. That will wash off all the soap residue, makeup, and other body chemicals.
- Make sure bathing suits are cleaned and rinsed with fresh water before getting in the hot tub.
- Don’t go underwater. Long-haired soakers should wear a baseball cap to keep their hair up.
- Don’t buy cheap chemicals. Get the right chemicals from a trusted source.
- Don’t drink in the hot tub to avoid the risk of spilling it in the water.
- Drain and clean a hot tub regularly. Do this every 3 to 4 months.
How to Get Rid of Hot Tub Foam
First, get the water tested. Make sure the pH, alkalinity, and sanitizer levels are good. This is also a good time to check for TDS. High levels of TDS can cause foaming. TDS is caused by an overload of chemicals and other solids into the water that builds up over time. The only way to reduce TDS is to drain and refill.
How to Test Hot Tub Water Properly
In order to maintain a clean and clear hot tub, you need to lean how to test hot tub water properly and accurately with this simple VIDEO tutorial.
1. Drain and Refill
This is the most direct way to get rid of foam – start from scratch.
I recommend to drain and refill the hot tub every 3 to 4 months and more often if it’s used frequently.
How to Drain and Clean a Hot Tub
You should drain and clean your hot tub every 3 - 4 months. I'll teach you how to drain and clean a hot tub properly with just a few steps.
NOTE: When draining and refilling a hot tub, make sure to clean the filters too.
How to Get Rid of Hot Tub Foam
Learn how to quickly get rid of hot tub foam by understanding what causes it and how to prevent foam from turning your hot tub into a bubble bath.
2. Anti-Foam Chemical
Another option is to purchase an anti-foam chemical that will quickly get rid of the foam. I like to think of this as Chloraseptic® spray while experiencing a sore throat – it quickly relieves the problem, but it doesn’t solve it.
Leisure Time HQ Spa Foam Down, 32 oz Bottle
|You Save:||$0.18 (1%)|
This chemical is perfect for hot tub foam, and no time to drain and refill.
Let’s say you’re having a hot tub party, or just want to take a soak after a long day of work – in these cases, you probably don’t want to take the time to drain and refill, you just want to use your tub.
I would recommend that if the foam continues, work on draining and refilling.
The Last Hot Tub Manual You Will Ever Need
You'll save $100 right away with this easy-to-follow digital handbook. This is the guide that hot tub manufacturer doesn’t provide you.
Last Updated: Sunday, July 28th, 2013